About the Artist关于艺术家
Gary Lang’s paintings explore repetition and color– brilliant, nuanced and jarring. The Tondos, up to thirteen feet in diameter, are painted in concentric rings of shifting color, sometimes gradual, sometimes abrupt. At a distance, they vibrate vertiginously; on approach, evident brush marks show a steady, human hand.
Of his work, Lang says, “the process is ultimately a pleasure-driven meditation on accumulating and organizing energy, while investigating the potential of color.”
Lang received an MFA from Yale University in 1975, and a Fulbright/Hayes Travel and Research Grant, which brought him to Barcelona for two years prior to settling in New York City. Lang has had more than seventy solo exhibitions in the United States, Austria, France, Japan, The Netherlands, and Spain. He now lives and works in Southern California.
- Born:出生: Ojai, CA, 1950
- Lives & Works:居住并工作 Ojai, CA
- Press Releases
- Reviews and Other Resources
- Artillery: Review of Rising by Cooper Johnson
- LA Times - Gary Lang's Paintings at Ace Gallery Make Spirits Soar
- Auratic Absolutism: Gary Lang's Tondos, by Donald Kuspit
- Gary Lang - Out Standing Time
- Art in America - Gary Lang
- LA Times - Intense, Colorful, Cold...and Kind