About the Artist关于艺术家
Method and subject converge in Laurie Lipton’s large-scale and exacting pencil drawings. With imagery as dense and multiple as her line work, Lipton presents an industrious society overcome by its technologies. We are shown the byproducts of consumer “must-haves” decaying in tangles and heaps, while catherdral-esque factories churn out skeletons in ceaseless production. Whose bones? Puppet politicians, zombie workers, 50s-style housewives dressed in glued on smiles–these are some of the inhabitants of Lipton’s world. And the wired people: figures of time-vulnerable flesh tied up in their elaborate gizmos. Referencing depictions of human folly in Northern Renaissance painting, and the monstrosities of Goya’s Caprichos, Laurie Lipton tenders fears all too familiar.
Lipton began drawing detailed images at the age of four and never stopped. She earned her Fine Arts Degree in Drawing from Carnegie-Mellon University. Lipton has lived in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, and London. Her work has been exhibited extensively throughout Europe and the United States.
Academy Award winning filmmaker Jim Scott has recently completed the documentary, LOVE BITE: Laurie Lipton and Her Disturbing Black and White Drawings. Lipton currently lives and works in Los Angeles.
- Born:出生: New York NY, 1953
- Lives & Works:居住并工作 West Hollywood, CA
- Press Releases
- Reviews and Other Resources
- Fabrik Magazine - Laurie Lipton, Techno Rococo
- LA Times - Critics Choice: Laurie Lipton, by Leah Ollman
- Hi-Fructose – Studio Visit with Laurie Lipton
- Wow! – Laurie Lipton – Pushing to the Limit – Interview
- Interview: Laurie Lipton by Julie Antolick Winters
- Laurie Lipton - Flash Art
- Laurie Lipton, In the Studio